Outside Knee Download PDF← All Instructions | Tape Removal Instructions
Symptoms & Causes:
Outside knee injuries are one of the most common overuse injuries among runners. The discomfort will typically come on 10 - 15 minutes into a run. When the tendon that attaches to the knee to help stabalize and move the joint isn't working properly, movement of the knee hurts.
For this application you will need:
- 2 precut strips of StrengthTape
- a pair of scissors
Here are your simple steps to apply.
- Fold the first strip in half and use the scissors to cut rounded corners along the folded end of the tape to make two short strips. The rounded corners help prevent the tape from peeling off too early, or getting caught on clothing. Once the tape is prepared, bend the knee to a 90 degree angle.
- Twist and tear the backing paper of the first half-strip down the middle, and stretch the tape to help remove the paper. Using the ends of the tape as handles, and being careful not to touch the adhesive, apply a 75% stretch to the middle portion of the tape and lay it down on the outer knee, directly over the point of pain, roughly in line with the femur. Anchor the two ends with absolutely no stretch.
- Twist and tear the backing paper from the second half strip down the middle in the same manner as the first strip. Using the ends of the tape as handles, apply a 75% stretch to the middle of the tape and apply it directly over the point of pain, perpendicular to the first half strip, forming an "X" shape. Anchor the two ends with zero stretch.
- Tear the “Champion” end of the tape and anchor it along the outside of the calf and up the area of pain at 50% stretch ending on the outside of the thigh. Again, lay the end down with absolutely no stretch.
- Remove the paper backing from the champion end of the uncut piece of Strength Tape and anchor it with zero stretch between the bottom ends of the “X” formed by the other pieces of tape. Apply the tape up the leg and crossing over the middle of the “X” with a 25% stretch. Bend the tape with the knee to a 90 degree angle and continue taping up the outer thigh, with a 25% stretch. As always, anchor the end with no stretch.
- Rub the entire application with your hand or some of the backer paper to create heat so the adhesive will stick much better to the skin.